Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Another ArtsyQuilty Melty Experiment

I really liked the blue/green/rust Melty Experiment from the other day, so last night I decided to make another one. Although I did not take any pictures last night, I took this one before I started to do anything with the piece. There are several different colours of red, orange, teal and yellow scrap pieces of sheer fabrics placed over a foundation of black Kunin felt covered with a scrap of some slightly metallic gold cotton/nylon blend that shrinks badly and is quite heat-reactive. The gold fabric has been fused to the felt with fusible web and the sheer fabrics have been fused either to the gold fabric/felt foundation or to each other - just enough to hold everything in place. At this time, the piece measures 9"x12" and the only non-scrap piece is the felt. Now, on to some free-motion embroidery and embellishment.


In the second photo, I have added Kreinik braid and blending filament, Fiesta rayon floss, Cresta D'Oro metallic yarn (which I used up!) which I twisted together and stitched with Madeira metallic thread (purple and overdyed brown/rust).





Before I stopped for the night, I added some copper Fyre Werks and some copper foil using Bonash powder and did some melting. Then I cut it up to make trading cards, post cards and two little teeny-tiny pieces that will probably end up in the garbage!



Today we ran some errands - which included taking the power head from the vacuum cleaner to the fixing place and having lunch at The Cactus Club, some grocery shopping, a trip to the Age of Aquariums to indulge Frank's hobby, and home in time for tea. Since neither of us were particularly hungry, we had nachos for dinner. Age of Aquariums did not have what Frank needed so we are planning to go to Duncan tomorrow. The marine aquarium purveyor in Duncan is right next to Fabricland!  How very convenient.

I finally saw one of our formerly-invisible barn cats today.  Oh lordy!  It is absolutely ginormous.  I did not see it, but the other cat was further back in the barn. Frank says they look like litter mates. I think we will try to live-trap them and get them spayed (spaded???) or neutered and then they can live happily ever after in the barn.

No comments:

Post a Comment