Thursday, January 22, 2009

The First ArtsyQuilty ATC

Back again after skipping a day or so.  Had dinner at Dianne's last night.  She lives in a trailer and had never had more than one person over for dinner before.  We had wine, shepherd's pie and lots of laughs.  She sent us home with leftovers for tonight.  

Frank painted the wall in the dining room that I tore the ugly wallpaper from about a year and a half ago.  It looked better with the wallpaper gone, but it looks even better with a coat or two of paint!  Next project - two walls in the living room.  We have more orange in the house than most people find in their Christmas stockings, but both Frank and I like it and it matches our chairs. 


Above is my favourite ATC. It is made from fabric paper (white glue, muslin, torn white tissue paper), painted with two or three Golden acrylic paints (I forget which ones), a line of assorted beads, ending in a butterfly. The pink/mauve area is rolled to the back. It is made from orange (there's that colour again!) polyester chiffon, white painted (more Golden acrylics) Misty Fuse, Textiva, and turquoise metal foil with two dangly strands of more assorted beads, one ending in another butterfly and the other in an opalish oval bead.  Not only is this one my favourite so far, it is also my first and I have used it in place of my own photo, since it is so much better looking and is not fussy about lipstick and hair.

I played for while tonight in my sewing room, made another ATC.  I now have five lined up along the bookcase. They are fun to make and oddly enough, not all that easy, due to their small size. One of the Yahoo groups I belong to trades ATCs. I am not ready to put myself 'out there' just yet. I need to do some more experimenting which is fine by me, but may limit the amount of time I can help with painting the living room! I need to set up a photo-spot to take pictures since the ironing board is usually occupied by a cat.

I thought I was using my stash, but one of my three cats decided the spool of thread in the sewing machine was a cat toy, so she pulled the thread and emptied the spool for me.  I think she ate about a foot and puked it up on the cream-coloured carpet ... Also, one of my gold-leafing pens was dry so I had to throw it away.  I don't think that counts as 'using' my stash.  I have, however, used a few beads ... a bit of fabric ... some paper ...

This past summer, my friend Becky and I made fabric paper. Fun and messy, and definitely a warm, sunny day, outside on the table with a plastic drop-sheet, with a glass of wine project. Next warm, sunny day, I shall make a lot more. When I was quitting smoking, I bought a roll of rice paper, brushes and ink to try brush painting. I never got around to it, because I went back to re-teaching myself italic calligraphy (I am left-handed which makes calligraphy difficult - especially since the hand drags through the freshly applied ink).  So, while experimenting with something else a week or so ago, I used some of the rice paper. I am anxious to try it for fabric paper instead of using the torn white tissue that I used last summer. I would love to have some more of the fabric paper to help me through the long winter days - it paints beautifully (Golden acrylics) and can be sewn, both by machine and by hand.

I had planned to go to the surface design exhibit in Qualicum Beach with Marjorie, but Marjorie's fourth grandchild (a girl) was born last night, so we have put our road trip off until next week. Everyone is fine, including the grandmother!

Prince has been returned to his castle after two days of playing with Rosie. Rosie is exhausted!

PONDERING:  Five free hot wings with a 15-piece KFC bucket.  Five?????  How many wings does the average chicken have?

No comments:

Post a Comment