Sunday, January 25, 2009

ArtsyQuilty Melty Experiment

I started to write a blog on January 25 and lost interest ... this actually all happened on January 26 ...

A scan of my experiment (8 3/4" x 7 1/4") with sheers, Textiva, Angelina, Walnut Hollow heat tool, metallic threads and free-motion embroidery on a piece of Kunin felt covered with a green metallicy fabric I bought to make something with for Christmas a few years ago. I am not too pleased with the colour, so I shall try the camera and see what happens to the colour with a photo, rather than the scan.

It HAS occurred to me that if I continue making small items, my stash will NEVER get used! I really must try something a bit larger.

Frank and I went to Qualicum Beach today to the Old School House to see the surface design exhibit. I liked some of the work, but I came away feeling like I am creative and do good work. We then went to an art supply store/stationers. At both places, I was spoken to as if I were an artist. It was just great. Then on to a quilt fabric store for a look-see. Lots of notions and fabric, but nothing I needed!

I have spent the evening in artsyquilty mode with the above piece doing a little more melting with the small pointy tip from the Walnut Hollow tool. It is a neat little gadget, but one needs to take care with the amount of pressure used as it gets very hot and melts the fibres quickly. Next to be added - beads I think, and maybe some hot-fix crystals - then a backing. I was originally planning to cut it up to make ATCs or APCs, but have decided against it because I like it the way it is.

I went for my walk today before we went to Qualicum Beach. The swans were in a different field and there were not as many as there had been. I love to watch them on these wonderful, bright, crisp, sunny days. Apparently we are expecting more snow tonight and tomorrow. 

The dining room is almost back to normal and even though I said I wouldn't be cleaning the glass and mirrors in the china and curio cabinets, I did and put the cleaned and dusted china, glasses and curio stuff back. The room now has a warm, rich look.  

Frank has put two coats of paint on one wall of the sun/living room with the vanilla-y/ caramelly colour. The remaining walls will  be the same orangey as in the dining room. It would be great if we could paint the windows too! They are old double-pane with broken seals with crud between the panes. Oh, and if we could paint the ugly carpet too ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment