Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The New President!

I did not spend any time sewing today - there was far too much excitement on CNN.  What a wonderful day.

Anyway - as wonderful as today was, it does bring back the 'where I was when' memories.  I was born in Vancouver General Hospital some years ago.  We (my father, mom, younger sister and I) lived in Burnaby. I remember walking down a street near our house and the tennis courts at the ball park and mom telling us about a "negress" who lived there and who had gone on to become a famous singer. I think it may have been opera or something.  Mom also remembered working at the Hotel Vancouver when black entertainers (Sammy Davis Jr.) could not stay there.  I am not so sure that they could have stayed at our house either. My grandmother must have been gobsmacked when men walking on the moon were on the television screen that had  appeared in her living room. I remember telling the operator "Hemlock 4 45 59" and now we have cell phones with 100 or more saved phone numbers (for those of us who can be bothered to enter them).  Now maybe we have made a step forward toward racial equality.

No fiber work/play has been done today.  Skype call from Valerie.  Some wine and hot wings at home.  Some emails with my sister.

I plan to go to the surface design exhibit in Qualicum Beach.  I have spoken with Marjorie and she is on for that road trip.  Tomorrow we are having dinner at Dianne's.  She has asked that we don't wear big hats since she lives in a small place!  So much to look forward to!

My walk today - down to the end of Martella.  I talked to Liz and asked her if she wanted to do a walk on a regular basis, but she cannot commit to time.  We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment